[TN-Bird] First fledglings of season

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 18:30:58 EDT

Greetings from the Charlotte Park area of West Nashville just east of the old
Cleece's Ferry landing.  My first fledgelings arrived this AM to be fed by
their parents on my deck.  Would you believe----house sparrows?  Ugh!  Usually,
I have had other "nice" baby birds by now.

While on a quick trip to PA for a friend's 100th birthday celebration, I
spent Sunday night at the Comfort Inn in Wytheville, VA.  There was a pair of
house sparrows with a nest inside one of the pipes of those gates that are
formed
by two triangles of 3" pipe.  I saw an adult bird pop in there with food, and
then heard the babies deep inside the open ended pipe.  I thought it was quite
an interesting place for a nest.  My trip was so fast that I didn't have the
opportunity to "bird" although towhees were EVERYWHERE just singing away.
Unfortunately, I did see two red-tailed hawks which had been killed by cars on
the road, and one poor, little yellow-rumped warbler splattered himself against
my windshield as I drove up through W VA.  He veered to the right to avoid me,
but at my speed, he was just a little late.

I don't know who was happier to see me return home--my two beloved little
poodles or my peanut-buttter/jelly addicted mockingbirds!  The latter are
making
up for my absence by eating me out of house and home and demanding MORE.
Maybe they have babies to feed although I have not heard any screaming yet.  I
think the adults are feeding each other.

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN