[TN-Bird] Feeding fledgelings, weird robin, etc.

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 11:57:28 EDT

Greetings from the Charlotte Park area of West Nashville just a few blocks
east of the old Cleece's Ferry landing and boat launching area.
Yesterday afternoon, I arrived home to find a weird robin collecting dried
grass cuttings from my yard, presumably for nesting materials.  The "weird"
part
is that on this robin, the gray color from its back extended around and
across its orange chest in the form of a band resembling that of the band on a
belted kingfisher.  I wanted to make sure about what I was seeing, so I kept
tabs
on the bird from all angles as it went about my yard collecting more and more
grass cuttings which it took away.  It returned several times.  Apparently, it
has a nest on the other side of a house behind me which is inside a fenced
yard.  I do not know the folks there.  I have been told they are from the
Middle
East and do not communicate well in English, so guess going robin-chasing
might present a problem.

Also, two baby "mockin' squawks" were feeding on the peanut butter, apple,
jelly and orange with great vigor.  They were having food fights with each
other
AND successfully fending off the nasty adult starlings!  Hooray for "Bossy
Mock's" babies!

This morning brought a real surprise.  For the first time in numerous years,
a chipmunk was scampering around over the deck upsetting the psyche of the
pigeons and other regular feeders.  It would rush over and across the seed area
scattering pigeons as it streaked through their "dining table" in a mad dash.
The pigeons, and, later, the doves, would retreat seemingly in awe of this
new, furry interloper to "their" feeding area.  When the chipmunk would leave,
they would return only to be interrupted again in just moments.  The little
fellow was here from 6:15 AM until about 9, and acted as if it had just found
the
source of chipmunk "manna from Heaven."  I guess it has had its fill and has
gone to sleep for a while.  Previously, I have only seen one here before which
was many year ago, and it only stayed for an instant never to be seen again.
The way this one moves, I'll have to be FAST to keep it from getting inside
where it definitely WILL NOT be welcome!  Luckily, Poodle Beaujolais made it
well aware that he often rests just inside the French doors.

Happy birding,

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN