[TN-Bird] Ensley Still Holds a few Surprises

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 19:05:04 EDT

May 23, 2004
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

The Mississippi is on the rise again so nothing showing at present, on to
Ensley.

I located 1 Western Kingbird early but a thorough search later produced 3
more. One male is hanging around one area and I'm pretty sure the nest is close
by but after an hours vigil she showed up to feed and then both disappeared. I
did see two more while I had that pair in sight so we are due at least two
nests this year. Searching for the Western's nest produced 2 Eastern Kingbird
nests, both on structures so it looks like they are taking on Western habits.

Shorebird numbers and species were down but I did manage a couple of goodies.
I photographed a male breeding plumaged Ruddy Turnstone and a near breeding
plumaged Sanderling. Killdeer numbers of adults and young were way up and
Semipalmated Plover numbers had dropped to only 3 birds. The other species
present
were Lesser Yellowlegs, Semipalmated Sandpipers, Least Sandpipers, 1 Pectoral
Sandpiper, White-rumped Sandpipers and a few Stilt Sandpipers. Black-necked
Stilt are absolutely everywhere with nests galore, mating and pairing squabbles
still taking place. Only 16 Wind Bird species for the weekend.

Dickcissels have quieted down a bit due to nesting, Song Sparrows were heard
and seen at 5 locations and two Savannah Sparrows were running a little late.
I had 2 Painted Bunting males on territories and I photographed a sleepy
Common Nighthawk male, dozing on a railroad track under a boxcar. I hope the
next
time I take his picture he is not one dimensional.

Lots of Canada Geese and Mallards with young with a few other mysteries. A
Sora was seen again in the same location as one seen Tuesday, will they nest
again and let me get another photo of the immatures? Two male Blue-winged Teal
hanging together, do they have lady friends on nests, hidden in the grass? A
spiffy Shoveler Duck and hen, will they provide us with another TN nesting and
young? A first year male Lesser Scaup, in a very delayed molt and pretty ratty
condition but still able to fly was the last surprise of the day.

Stay tuned as the Ensley summer saga continues..............

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN

PS: I left the 3 super Black-bellied Plovers I photographed on Saturday's and
I had a Cooper's Hawk late Saturday on Highway 88, very near the same
location as another seen last summer.