[TN-Bird] Directions to Mendota Fire Tower

  • From: RonEHarrin@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 10:11:59 EDT

Hi Folks:
Several of you have inquired about directions to the Mendota Fire Tower atop
Clinch Mountain for the annual  hawk migration. Well, as the old fellow said,
there are no easy ways to get there from here. Well, really there are several
ways:

From Bristol take US 58/421 towards Gate City (North/West) from Exit 1, I-81.
After about 11 miles, you will cross an old iron bridge. Turn right on 615
towards Mendota. This is a paved, but very narrow road, so drive carefully.
After about 6 miles, you cross the North Fork of the Holston. Take a left on
614,
then right just a short distance on 802 at Mendota. Go thru Mendota pass the
Community Center (old school) for less than a mile. Turn left on Pinnacle Road
up the Clinch Mountain. This becomes a dirt road. Follow to the top of the
mountain (about 3 miles). Near the top you will pass an old rutted out road on
the right which goes to the tower. Park nearby and walk up this road to the
watch area. Be sure to lock your vehicle and do not leave valuables exposed.

From Abingdon, VA: Take US 19/58 North and cross the North Fork of the
Holston. Turn left on route 802 and follow for about 18 miles. As you near
Mendota
watch for Pinnacle Road on your right. Turn right and follow directions as
above.

From Kingsport and Northeast TN:  Take I-181/US 23 North pass Kingsport to
Weber City, VA. In Weber City, turn right on US 58-421 East and drive about 5
miles to Hiltons, VA. Turn left on 709, then right on 614 (towards the Carter's
Fold). Drive about 11 miles to Mendota. Go straight ahead when 614 goes right.
The route becomes 802 as you start through Mendota. After you pass the
Community Center, watch for the Pinnacle Road on your left. Follow this to the
top
as described above.

If you are driving from Knoxville area, take I-40 East to I-81 North to I-181
North to Kingsport. Follow directions above.

From North Carolina/Johnson City: Take I-26 which becomes I-181 at I-81
junction towards Kingsport and then follow the directions above for Kingsport
area.

Note: I am not responsible if you get lost!

Hawk Watching: Catch the Fever!!!

Ron Harrington
Bristol, VA