[TN-Bird] Common Mergansers at Cove Lake

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 11:10:07 -0500

The two beautiful male Common Mergansers seen by Nell Moore Friday afternoon at
Cove Lake State Park (Campbell County, TN) were still there yesterday (Sunday
afternoon).  They were sleeping when first seen on the far side of the lake but
awoke and gave great views through my scope.  I was surprised to find them
still lingering there.  Jean Alexander and David Johnson came by and saw them
too.   Many thanks to Nell for posting them.  They were life birds for me!
Other birds on the lake were Mallards, Canada Geese, Ring-Billed Gulls and a
male American Wigeon who showed up with the others during a feeding frenzy by
the playground area when a family started throwing bread to the geese.  The
wigeon came in pretty close but did not partake of the bread. Carole Gobert,
Knoxville, TN