[TN-Bird] Cherohala Skyway report

  • From: David Trently <dtrently@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 15:03:06 -0400

Here is a bird list from the Cherohala Skyway, Monroe County, east Tennessee,
from a Knoxville Chapter TOS field trip Saturday, May 22.
At least a dozen birders were present. Birding was from 9:00 a.m. until about
3:30 in the afternoon, and included some of Graham County, NC (the Skyway
continues in NC to around Robbinsville)

All species were potential breeders in this area.

Turkey Vulture
accipiter sp - large Sharp-shinned or small Cooper's is the best we could
decide.
Red-shouldered Hawk
Broad-winged Hawk - 4 in one group.
Red-tailed Hawk
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Chimney Swift
N Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker
Great Crested Flycatcher
American Crow
Common Raven - only one was seen, and it was at the lowest elevation of the
Skyway, where they have been seen before. This was along the road before it
splits off to Bald River Falls.
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper - one singing at the area near the gravel road for Stratton
Meadows
Carolina Wren
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Veery
Wood Thrush
Gray Catbird (NC side)
Brown Thrasher
Cedar Waxwing
White-eyed Vireo
Blue-headed Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
N Parula - 1 at the same place as the raven
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler
Blackburnian Warbler - several of these were heard near the NC/TN state line
Pine Warbler
Prairie Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler
one possible female American Redstart. We didn't get a very good look.
Ovenbird
Hooded Warbler
Canada Warbler - 3 in NC. Two were at the first picnic/rest area after you
enter NC, one was at the Stratton Meadows road.
Yellow-breasted Chat
Summer Tanager - not commonly found here in spring or summer
Scarlet Tanager
N Cardinal
Rose-breasted Grosbeak - a few of these near the state line
Indigo Bunting
E Towhee
Dark-eyed Junco
Am Goldfinch

After everyone had left, I continued along the NC part of the road and stopped
at Hooper Bald. Best surprise was a LEAST FLYCATCHER. I plan to go back with a
few others tomorrow to bird more on the NC side. I'll try to post a report
more promptly!

David Trently,
Knoxville, TN