[TN-Bird] Chattanooga RBA #3

  • From: "Kevin A. Calhoon" <kac@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To:
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 11:55:59 -0500

You have reached Kevin Calhoon with the Chattanooga RBA, sponsored by the
Chattanooga Chapter of the Tennessee Ornithological Society.

This is Update Number #3 made on January 31, 2004.

You can call the RBA at 423 -821-4381.

Judy Newsome found a WHITE-WINGED SCOTER on the evening of January 30 above
Chickamauga Dam in Hamilton co.  I saw the bird in the same area this
morning (1/31) with a female Greater Scaup around 7:15.  The light level was
so low this morning that I could not see much on it besides it was a
white-winged (it was obviously not an adult male).  For those of you who see
the bird in good light, let me know the age and sex.

A single Ross's Goose was present at Swoffards' Pond in Bledsoe county on
January 24. (Ron Hoff)  This pond is about three miles north of Pikeville on
East Valley road. (DeLorme Atlas pg 41, 5-D).  This bird was not present on
the 29th, but two Snow Geese were there.  Two Ross's Geese were present at
the pond on January17! (John Henderson and Dan Jacobson)

Brewer's Blackbirds are still being seen near the Cookie Jar Cafe and the
Johnson Family Farm in Sequatchie co.

A single female COMMON MERGANSER was seen at the city park in Dayton, Rhea
co. on January 24. (Ron Hoff)  This location is just off the 27 bypass, look
for the Riverside Cafe sign and turn off there.

Three male and one female Red-breasted Mergansers were seen on the Tennessee
River just downstream from Booker T Washington State Park in Hamilton co. on
Janaury 26. (Kevin Calhoon)

The next general meeting of the Chattanooga TOS will be on February 12
7:00 PM at the Accension Luthern Church, 720 South Germantown Rd.

Get out in the Field and let me know what you see!!