[TN-Bird] Chattanooga RBA #19

  • From: "Kevin A. Calhoon" <kac@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To:
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 10:25:29 -0400

You have reached Kevin Calhoon with the Chattanooga RBA, sponsored by the
Chattanooga Chapter of the Tennessee Ornithological Society.

This is Update Number #19 made on September 19, 2003.

You can call the RBA at 423 -821- 4381.

Fall migration should be peaking in the next few days. The Fall Migration
Count is on September 20.  Even though we do not do an official count here
in Chattanooga, if you have any observations for the day, send them to me
and I will compile them and send them to Ron Hoff.

The first report of Rose-breasted Grosbeak was from Lula Lake, GA on
September 16. (David Aborn)

1 Wild Turkey, 2 Green-winged Teal, 2 Great Egrets, and 1 Brown-headed
Nuthatch, a total 23 species were seen on the Brainerd Levee TOS fieldtrip
on September 17. (Harold Birch)

The Soddy Mountain hawkwatch season is in full swing.  On September 15, 265
Broadwings, 2 Kestrels and 1 Sharp-shinned Hawk were tallied. (Harold Birch)

Eight Caspian Terns were above Nickajack Dam on September 7. (Kevin Calhoon)

David Aborn had a very interesting sighting of a Red-breasted Nuthatch in
his yard on September 6.  The beginnings of an irruptive winter?

The next general meeting of the Chattanooga TOS will be on October 9
7:00 PM at the Accension Luthern Church, 720 South Germantown Rd.

Get out in the Field and let me know what you see!!