[TN-Bird] Bledsoe County owls

  • From: "Douglas Downs" <douglas_downs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 14:00:14 -0600

Since my recent posting about the short-eared owls in Bledsoe County, I have
received two emails asking for more information.  Unfortunately, neither of
my replies were able to get through to the inquiring parties.  Perhaps this
posting will be of help to others with directions and times.  Assuming you
are coming up from Chattanooga, you want to travel north on U.S. 127 from
Dunlap to Pikeville.  Continue north of Pikeville on U.S. 127 (toward
Crossville).  I'm not sure of the exact mileage north of Pikeville, but you
will come to a crossroad name Ninemile Crossroad.  There should be a road
sign visible on your right side (The road is so named because it is nine
miles SOUTH of the Cumberland County line).  When you get to Ninemile
Crossroad turn right (East).  You will drive east 0.9 mi. until you come to
a pond and marshy area on the left (north) side of the road.  If you go as
far as East Valley Rd., you have gone just a bit too far.  Around the pond
you will see several large fields.  The harriers are ever present as sunset
approaches.  The owls normally appear very close to sunset along the western
and northern edges of the fields.  Also, please note that the times listed
in my posting (4:45 - 5:20 p.m.) are Central Standard Time.  Eastern Time
zoners please make the adjustment.

Ninemile Crossroad seems to be an unusually productive stretch of road.
According to Stephen Stedman's website at Tennessee Tech, during summer this
road has hosted breeding pairs of Scissor-tailed Flycatchers in at least two
recent years.  And during winter it has hosted Rough-legged Hawks in several
recent years as well as this year's Short-eared Owls.  Now if everyone out
there could just get out and find one road like this in their own area!
Then give the rest of us directions!

Good birding!

Douglas Downs
Sparta, White County, Tennessee