[TN-Bird] Birding areas on Dauphin Island wrecked by Hurricane Ivan

  • From: "Michael Roedel" <Michael.Roedel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:20:05 -0500

Tennessee Birders,
Many of you have visited Alabama's Dauphin Island in the past and found
excellent birding. Last week, Hurricane Ivan blasted the island,
destroying infrastructure and leaving an incredible mess. According to
Alabama Ornithological Society (AOS) President, Bob Reed, "The birding
areas are still covered in tons of debris." The AOS Fall meeting, which
was to be held on the weekend of October 9th, has been canceled.

I have attached a plea from Col. Reed and AOS requesting donations to
help with the cleanup of this area so important to migrating birds as
well as to birders.  Please read on and please be generous with your
support.  Thank you.

Michael Roedel, Tennessee State Ornithologist

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Dear all,
I am using more than one list for this, so some of you will receive it
more than once.

Lorna West has proposed that AOS make a monetary donation to Dauphin
Island for the cleanup.   The AOS board has expressed strong support of
the proposal.  If you would like to participate in this effort, please
send your check immediately to the AOS Treasurer, Shelly Ducharme at:

Shelly Ducharme
1026 DeKalb Street
Auburn, Alabama 36830

Make your check payable to AOS and mark it for "Ivan Recovery."  I am
not a tax expert, but I believe the donation will be tax deductible.

Speed is important.  We need to show our support for DI immediately.
We will send the first check Friday, October 1, 2004.  If there are
additional contributions after that time, a separate check will be
sent.

The following is adapted from the letter that I will send to Mayor
Collier with our check.
The Alabama Ornithological Society has enjoyed the birds and
hospitality of Dauphin Island for many years.  We have watched with
sadness the suffering it has endured over the years as hurricanes
pounded it.  We have also been amazed and pleased at your resilience and
spirit.

Our Fall meeting was scheduled for October 8-10.  We have canceled the
meeting because of many concerns, not the least of which was the
propriety of enjoying birds in the midst of Dauphin Island recovery
efforts.

We are also cognizant that our presence on the island is good for the
Dauphin Island economy.  While the enclosed check will not replace those
dollars that would have been spent during our visit, perhaps it will
contribute to your recovery and serve as a symbol of our continuing
support of and interest in Dauphin Island.

Sincerely for the birds and the habitat,

Bob Reed

Robert E. Reed
Colonel USAR (Retired)
President