[TN-Bird] Alabama Ornithological Society problems

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-birds" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 15:49:51 -0400

TN-Birders:
I would like to ask that our President Virginia Reynolds and our executive
committee immediately contact the Alabama Ornithological Society and extend a
hand of friendship to their members.

We can ask their society to join with us for a join fall meeting at Cookeville
this year, sponsored both by the AOS and TOS.    This will not replace the good
birding at the AOS meeting which had to be called off at Dauphin Island.  The
AOS would have to make a last-minute change to get their meeting moved
somewhere else.  Many of their birders are busy cleaning up from the mess.
This suggestion is not about us replacing their Dauphin Island good birding
opportunity.  And it is not about just sending money.

This is an opportunity to say that their AOS meeting went on.  We already have
a paper session in place and date set and all our logistics up and running.  We
can squeeze in and we can make it work.

Here would be an opportunity not for every birder and member of AOS to be
expected to rush to Tennessee.  But it would be an opportunity for them to
carry on and not miss their annual fall meeting.  Those in other less-damaged
areas of Alabama would be made welcome and would know that AOS had TOS come to
whatever rescue we could for their society. This might turnout to be the least
we can do.

This is not the time to handle this like our TOS leadership did when invited to
jointly have a fall meeting with the Kentucky Ornithological Society this fall.

We need to find ways to get this done with AOS.  We need to think about how we
can make it happen.  We need not be focused on how not to.  Nor focused on what
the problems might be.  We need to find a way to make it happen.

I hope TOS can handle this just as easy as they have other emergency requests.

Let's go birding.....

Wallace Coffey
Bristol, TN