[TN-Bird] Beaman Park Bird Hike 4/10/10

  • From: Duane Rice <drbirdsong4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 21:41:49 -0500

Barbara ? (from TOS) led Tony Lance, Mark Miller & son and myself on a bird
walk Saturday morning.

We couldn't have ask for more perfect weather, even if it did start out a
little nippy.

Of course, the usual Titmous and friends were on hand, and in fine Spring
voice, all throughout the walk.

Lots of Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, one of which we witnessed gathering nesting
material.

Tony saw a Red-breasted Nuthatch just as I arrived, which I unfortunately
didn't get. Northern Parulas (FOY) were singing non stop from the highest
largest trees, so as to remain as invisible as possible.

Louisiana Waterthrush (FOY) (8) were at first elusive, but ended up giving us
great looks at the small bridge which crosses one of the tributaries which
feeds the creek. A pair were bobbing and flipping leaves and small stones in
search of breakfast.

Just upstrem from them we got a Winter Wren also searching for breakfast, in a
decaying stump.

A Carolna Wren was seen darting in and out of a pair of holes at the base of a
large tree. It was not at all bothered by our stopping to watch it's
performance.

Worm-eating Warblers (FOY) were heard, though we didn't get any good looks at
them.

However, we did get good looks at a (FOY) Yellow-throated Vireo and a (FOY)
Summer Tanager.

Other birds seen and heard were:

Red-Bellied Woodpecker

Pileated Woodpecker

Downy Woodpecker

Broad-winged Hawk

Turkey Vulture

Northern Cardinal

Carolina Chickadee

White-breasted Nuthatch

Cowbird

Thanks Barbara, (sorry I forgot your last name)

We must do it again soon,

Duane Rice

Pleasant View, Tenn.

               Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan