[TN-Bird] Banded Pectoral Sandpiper at Ensley

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 09:26:24 EDT

Aug. 22 thru-26, 2008
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

Just thought I'd catch up on the weather related shorebirds coming through
Ensley. I ran down after the storms Friday for an hour and found lots of new
arrivals but a bunch were acting like they would soon be back on their way
south. Lots of immature Westerns in the mix plus a bunch of Semipalmated
Plovers
added to the numbers already there.

On Saturday, I was joined by Drew Wirwa, down from UT Knoxville for a touch
up on plumage and ageing of the birds passing through. We ran into Q. B. Gray
and had a good bunch of birds to pick through until a Cooper's made a few
unsuccessful low runs and then soared for a time just to keep the birds
harassed
 and many left going to the river, most not returning till late afternoon. We
had  two stunning, picture perfect Baird's Sandpipers and close looks at a
lot of the  variations in color and wear on the birds present. One of the many
Semipalmated  Plovers was my first immature for the year. Saturday afternoon
the Western  Sandpipers returned for photos and again a single Buff-breasted
was
found  hiding in the spread fields. Q.B. showed us a photo he had taken of a
Upland  Sandpiper that had evidently been chased out of the pigweed onto the
open  pits and had tiny Least Sandpipers walking all around it, almost  between
its legs.

The Sunday rains brought in more Westerns and immature Semipalmated
Sandpipers with a molting Golden-Plover dropping in at the magic 10 AM time, 25

Lesser Yellowlegs and 2 Stilt Sandpipers making the noon flight. The  numbers
of
Solitary Sandpipers went up with almost half being bright immature  birds. Two
Black Terns spent a little time foraging over the pits in the  afternoon.

A quick Tuesday trip held an immature Short-billed Dowitcher in a  strange
plumage and a basic plumaged Stilt Sandpiper. Still waiting for  immature
Pectorals having seen only one so far this season. I did photograph an  adult
PECTORAL SANDPIPER that was BANDED somewhere in the US, hopefully it  can be
traced
as it not only had a green flag but 4 more colored bands.  Sixteen shorebird
species, but far below the expected mix at this time. The  migration has seemed
not only early when the adults pushed through but  the birds don't appear to
lay over as long as they usually do in the  Fall.

Five Northern Shovelers and a dozen Blue-winged Teal plus a single
Green-winged flying in Monday, announced the official start of duck  migration.

Good Birding  !!!
Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN  38135
http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/
What is this feathered thing that  lifts my heart to the heavens.

deal here.

                       MAP RESOURCES