[TN-Bird] An evening's reflection

  • From: "Van Harris" <shelbyforester1223@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, missbirds <missbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 16:09:53 -0700

 When we moved to this property in nw Shelby County in 1991, one of the
firstthings that we noticed was the rapid erosion of the steeply sloping
backyard.  One of the remedies was the construction of a shallow pool at the
bottom of the hill and a re-circulating pump that creates a small waterfall
over some rocks down to the pool.  It requires a lot of maintainance, but
this evening I got a rare opportunity to just enjoy iy for a while.    I sat
with my three dogs in the screen house that overlooks the waterfall from
about 5 to 6 pm.  The promised cold front had evidently just arrived,
drivingaway the oppressive heat of the last weeks.  As the gloaming fell,
thefollowing birds arrived to bathe and quench their thirst:   Ruby-throated
Hummingbird - 1 N Cardinal - 3 N Parula - 1 Prothonotary Warbler - 3 Indigo
Bunting - 3 Chipping Sparrow - 1 Carolina Wren - 2 Tufted Titmouse - 3
Carolina Chickadee - 2   In addition, I saw or heard the following in the
yard;   Great Crested Flycatcher - 1 E Wood-pewee - 1 Pileated Woodpecker -
1Am Crow - 1 Fish Crow - 5 Summer Tanager - 1   As we rush about on
far-flungadventures in search of birds, sometimes it is most pleasant and
satisfying to sit, observe and enjoy what is in our own back yard.     Van
Harris Millington, TN

               Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                        Clarksville, TN

                       MAP RESOURCES