[TN-Bird] 4 vireo morning at Melton Hill Park

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 18:17:50 -0400

At Melton Hill Park in west Knox County this morning I made history--well,
personal history.  I correctly identified two vireo songs and actually managed
to track down the singers to confirm it, and neither vireo had eyes or throats
in their names.  First I heard a Warbling Vireo singing and singing and
singing, so I looked and looked and looked... well, you get the idea. I finally
saw leaves move near the top of a tree and found the drab little songster.  In
all I had two brief looks at the "warbler".  A few minutes and a short distance
later, I sat down at a picnic table to watch the nearby trees and soon heard
another vireo.  It sounded like it could be a Blue-headed but I've never been
able to tell their songs reliably from red-eyed's.  I soon got a quick but good
look at a Blue-headed Vireo.   I'm still having trouble believing it.
And speaking of vireo songs, yesterday at Clark Center Park in Oak Ridge I
watched a Yellow-throated Warbler doing its best to imitate a vireo.  Its song
was short, perhaps half a dozen notes, and all the notes clear but its
sing-songy rhythm reminded me of a red-eyed or blue-headed vireo song.  It sang
twice and then moved along.  I never would have suspected a Yellow-throated
Warbler had I not watched it singing.
Back to Melton Hill Park this morning, at one point I had four ospreys in sight
at the same time.  They circled a few times before one-by-one breaking off and
flying toward the water.  Walking on one of the fields, I noticed a bird fly
into the trees at the back, saw red and thought I'd seen a cardinal but when I
raised my binoculars I realized that the red was leaves and the bird beside the
leaves was a Chat.
Melton Hill Park, Knox, US-TN
Apr 25, 2012     9:45 AM - 12:20 PM
Protocol: Traveling           1.25 mile(s)

34 species

Canada Goose 3

Double-crested Cormorant 3

Great Blue Heron 3

Black Vulture 2

Osprey 4

Eastern Kingbird 3

White-eyed Vireo 5

Blue-headed Vireo 1 heard, then seen

Warbling Vireo 1 heard, then seen

Red-eyed Vireo 2

American Crow 2

Northern Rough-winged Swallow 3

Tree Swallow 2

Carolina Chickadee 2

Tufted Titmouse 2

Carolina Wren 2

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 1

Eastern Bluebird 1

Brown Thrasher 1

Cedar Waxwing 3

Common Yellowthroat 1

Yellow-rumped Warbler 1

Yellow-breasted Chat 1

Eastern Towhee 2

Field Sparrow 2

Savannah Sparrow 2

Song Sparrow 2

Northern Cardinal 6

Indigo Bunting 3

Eastern Meadowlark 1

Brown-headed Cowbird 2

Orchard Oriole 3

House Finch 2

American Goldfinch 2This report was generated automatically by eBird v3
(http://ebird.org)Carole Gobert, Knoxville