[tlug] Re: Problems with Wine

  • From: srh023@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 14:37:31 -0600

I looked around and I didn't see a patch for the game. Maybe you should download the latest installer and see if the new installer has the patch installed.

Samuel Hollis

Quoting Adele Richards <richardsa.flute.08@xxxxxxxxx>:

It is a private server of the online game Ragnarok Online. I don't think
this would affect it much, but they have a special encryption system in
place to prevent bots. Like I said it shouldn't matter much since a friend
of mine who uses Linux managed to get it running on his computer.

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 11:30 AM, John Doc <byonichero@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Actually, I think that's the magic question.  I'll help you research stuff
for the game if you tell me what the game is.

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 11:29 AM, <srh023@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yea that error should be fixable by a patch release on the game site or on
a site like gameburnworld.com (this is a legal site that only has
patches, mods, and no-cd fixes).
Just wondering what game is it you are working on running?

When I used WINE my game was compatible too but I never got it working. I
recently tried running it in Crossover and I only have a window size glitch
which I an resolving now.
If you can come to the meeting tomorrow I can see what I can do for you.

Samuel Hollis

Quoting Adele Richards <richardsa.flute.08@xxxxxxxxx>:

It should be compatible because I have read on the forums that other
people
have been able to get it working in wine. I have a feeling that this has
do with my computer and not wine itself.

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 9:14 AM, John Doc <byonichero@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Have you checked to see if the game is compatible in the apps database at
winehq?  If not then you're not going to get it working at all in linux.
All those applications that let you run windows software in linux have
wine
at the core.

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 1:23 AM, Adele Richards <
richardsa.flute.08@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I wasn't sure what crossover was for so I didn't download it. Brandon
tried to help me get it to work, and somehow Wine is causing hard drive
errors or some kind of error of some sort that freezes up the computer.
For
now we're going to try running it in VirtualBox, and the game itself is
giving me errors and not starting up.

The error that the game gives me is "Could not initialize d3d or grf
file
has problem" which is an error I have seen on the forum for the game in
the
past. The administrator of the server said that that indicated a
graphics
driver problem. I'm gonna look into a possible way of solving this
soon,
hopefully.

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 6:00 PM, <srh023@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Wine is really hard to get to work but it is possible (personal
experience).
Vbox will work but only if the game doesn't use DirectX and even then
it
will run slow.
The best option that I have tested is Crossover Games. It is basically
WINE but it works better.
If you downloaded Crossover Pro or Games on the free day then all you
have to do is install the software and then double click on the
install file
on the cd.
I will be covering some of these options in my presentation on gaming
in
Linux on Tuesday November 4th.

Samuel Hollis

Quoting Adele Richards <richardsa.flute.08@xxxxxxxxx>:

okay. I understand now. I'll give it a try.

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 12:57 PM, Brandon Blackwell <
brb023@xxxxxxxxxx
>wrote:

You already have wine installed I know but is this the same game you

were
having trouble with getting to work correctly in virtualbox.

You do it the same way as when I walked you through how to use the
iso
downloader which john doc has already spelled out for you.

Brandon

John Doc wrote:

Edit:

sudo apt-get install wine
cd <directory of .exe>
wine <name>.exe

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 8:02 AM, John Doc <byonichero@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:
byonichero@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

 sudo apt-get install wine
 cd <directory or .exe>
 wine <name>.exe

 On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 2:24 AM, Adele Richards
 <richardsa.flute.08@xxxxxxxxx
 <mailto:richardsa.flute.08@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

     Yes. I tried it just now with terminal, and it says "bash: $:
     command not found".

     On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 2:00 AM, John Doc <
byonichero@xxxxxxxxx
     <mailto:byonichero@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

         Are you in the folder of the .exe when you are trying to
         run it from the terminal?

         John Doc

         On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 1:34 AM, Adele Richards
         <richardsa.flute.08@xxxxxxxxx
         <mailto:richardsa.flute.08@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

             Hey guys, this is my first tech support question on
             the mailing list, but I'll get right to it. I have a
             game that I'm trying to install on my laptop using
             Wine, and yet when I try to open it (it is a .exe
             file) my computer freezes up. I tried using Terminal
             to open it by way of $ wine <filename.exe> but it
             tells me that it is an invalid command or something
             like that. What am I doing wrong, or how do I fix
this?