[THIN] Re: XP servers running Visual FoxPro v6 app frequent locking

  • From: "Mack, Rick" <RMack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 05:43:18 +1000

Hi Jason,

There are a lot of different reasons for apparent system lockups, some fixed
by hotfixes, but 2 common ones are exhaustion of network i/o request queues,
and excessive swapping. The latter doesn't actually lock the system, it's
just so slow it might as well be locked.

First thing I'd do is tune maxmpxct/maxworkitems on your back-end file
server(s). Make absolutely certain your anitvirus software is set for
inbound files only and that they're not doing anything crazy like backups
during the day.

Then I'd be tempted to take one of the servers and install SP4.

Depending on the frequency of lockups, leaving a perfmon or task manager
session running on the console can be enlightening, or getting and
installing a copy of Remote Task Manager might give you a clue as to whats
happening before the lockup. Another option is to run a system in debug
mode, attach a null-modem cable and monitor it with a PC running windbg.

Regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack
rmack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx