[THIN] Re: To upgrade or not to upgrade to Windows 7

  • From: Berny Stapleton <berny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 15:56:54 +0000

I just formatted over the weekend, yes there is a lot of Vista there, but a
couple of things that REALLY irked me about Vista:

UAC - Oh what a PITA it was. Windows 7, you actually forget that it's there.

Memory usage - A LOT more of a resource hog. With Windows 7 I am going to
hazard a guess and say that under a typical load, I am using less RAM than
XP.

So, first impressions.... Pretty good actually, the device manufacturers
have had a long time to get drivers out there, so device support is pretty
good, I am running X64 of a 2 year old workstation without any problems. I
must admit that the onboard graphics didn't cut it for aero, so I bought a
€40 graphics card...

Most of the reasons for hating Vista aren't there. Then again though, ask me
in a week's time how things are going and I might be singing a different
tune.....