[THIN] Re: Softricity vs Tarpon

  • From: "Douglas A. Brown" <dbrown@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 17:06:47 -0400

I don't think anyone should give up on anything.  I think Softricity is
a better technology and that fact is something I don't think anyone can
argue.  BUT that does not always mean it is what a customer wants or
needs.   I think Tarpon will have a place and some Citrix customers will
buy it.  You bet.  I think the most important thing is that Citrix gets
into this market.  Then Microsoft might let them license the SoftGrid
SystemGuard and then Citrix can make tarpon a application deployment
management tool ad-on to SoftGrid, the way MetaFrame was/is to terminal
services.    If that happens then Citrix has the ability to sell a lot.
Think of having the Citrix "access" tools manage all your application
needs... Pretty cool eh?    Or very expensive, we will see...

So, as much of a fan of Softricity as I am, I still see a future for
Tarpon.  Not to mention a slew of Citrix partners will try to sell it no
matter what.  They are blind to a solution.  They sale what they are
told to sell.  Just look at the Access Gateway.  It is a nice piece of
hardware but not as good as some of the competition.   Right?   BUT, it
is #1.  That is because of the Citrix customer base and the Citrix
channel.

The other thing to note is that Microsoft is cutting the price of
Softricity and also throwing in Zero Touch and the SMS Connector for
free.   This is actually huge!  I don't know what it will cost but if it
is cheap enough then why go with anything else?   The old Citrix
argument on why you want them is...  One vendor?  NO, you already have
Microsoft.... ;)   Because Citrix is bigger?   Not than Microsoft!   J

All in all, no way for Citrix to get out now.... And It will be fun to
watch this play out....

Oh, the big looser = Altiris........................ not Citrix....

Oh, oh,  Tarpon needs to work... it can't be half a$$... It needs to
work as described.  No more, it does this but really, you need to wait
for the patch for that t work BS.

IMHO

Douglas A. Brown

President and Chief Technology Officer