[THIN] SV: Re: Battle of the Thin Clients - Neoware vs. Wyse

  • From: "Svein Arild Haugum" <svein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 14:45:18 +0200

I use Wyse 3125SE clients with and without Wireless LAN, with Rapport
version 3.

I have had few hardware issues, but I dont have to many clients either,
I have had 2-3 defect clients, out of a total of 100. The issues have
been defect NIC apparently.

Rapport 3 was the worst install I have ever done. There is so many
dependencies to other MS components you wouldnt imagine it.
I also had severeal problems with the install, wich Wyse Support denied
was a product error. The problem was solved when apllying SP3 wich I got
trough the Norwegian reseller. The latest SP on the Wyse website was
SP1. How they can have SP3 for partners, and only SP1 avaliable for
customers is so stupid its scary.

Also to use the "free" Rapport Workgroup Edition, you have to register
the clients at theyr website. This is a pain in the ass. (cant imagine
how boring this must be for  someone who buys a lot more than us). I
once registred 30 clients at theyr webpage, never got the Rapport
license wich should arrive by email. It took over a month with theyr
support before they managed to create my license keys. They even closed
the case twice without solving it. The norwegian reseller had to contact
management in UK to get things going. This is a big problem, because you
cant use Rapport witout this license.

Now we dont pay the invoices for Wyse terminals before we have got the
licenses.

But if I look away from the 2 problems mentioned above, they work ok.
And i do not consider changing to other brands because I do not want to
have multiple brands, and multiple management solutions, etc.

If I knew what i know now, before we started using thin clients,  I
would consider other options.

Mvh
Svein Arild
http://www.go-eol.com