[THIN] OT: Workstation service is slowing down my system

  • From: "Vince Tan" <VinceT@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 13:53:33 -0400

On some of my XP workstation, I am getting the following problem:

1.  User double click on the file (ie  doc, xls, pdf, or even txt),  the
system sits for almost a minute then launches the right program.  So for
almost a minute, you don't see anything on screen, the hour glass might
be up for a few seconds then nothing.  No activity when I check the task
manager too.  The CPU was close to O.

2.  When user open a program (word, excel, acrobat or notepad) and then
click file and open the document,  it works just fine.  Meaning, it
opens instantly.

3.  The files are located locally so it is not in a network folder.

When trying to figure out what is causing this,  I started disabling
services.  The service that seems to affect this is the workstation
service.  When I turned off the workstation service, everything works
fine.  Turning it on basically will give me the slow opening of
programs.

Anyone knows what could be causing this?  I have this happen in more
than 3 computers already.

Vince
http://www.go-eol.com