[THIN] Re: OT: Windows 2k web server can't keep time

  • From: Jez <jezosaurus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 23:06:33 +0100

Last time I saw this was a Windows 2003 box running on a single
processor server. A firmware update helped, but eventually, after
replacing the systemboard, we replaced the processor and the issue
went away, so the end issue was a bad processor.

If it's just one VM that's running slow on 1 host server and the other
ones are running OK, (I'd guess you don't run multiple VMs on a single
processor box...), then swap the processors round and see if that
changes anything. You never know...

If the issue stays with that 1 logical server and no others on the VM
host, then you need to put a call into VMWare, or trust your
experience and knowledge of your environment and put a call into
Microsoft.

Either way, it sounds like you're in for a bad hair month.

On 1/9/07, TSguy92 Lan <tsguy92@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This is just so odd and I haven't come across anything useful in websearches
so I thought I'd bounce it off the mighty brains of this list :)

We have a windows 2000 sp4 server (currently running as a virtual machine on
ESX 3.01), that has started mis-counting the time alloted for Seconds. I'm
really not sure how else to phrase this, we can pull up the clock on the
server from the systray, and can visually watch the seconds tick away at
extended intervals. (IE - instead of 1 second every second, we'll see 1
second tick, then can have a pause of up to 3-5 seconds before the next
second ticks by.) This delay gradually builds up until the server is off
from the domain time by several minutes . . obviously this is an issue.

On a reboot of this machine, the problem is no longer evident, in fact we
rebooted it in the evening to avoid production down time, all was good when
it came back up, but this morning (shortly after start of business) our time
issues showed up again.