[THIN] OT: Windows 2k web server can't keep time

  • From: "TSguy92 Lan" <tsguy92@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 12:32:27 -0800

This is just so odd and I haven't come across anything useful in websearches
so I thought I'd bounce it off the mighty brains of this list :)

We have a windows 2000 sp4 server (currently running as a virtual machine on
ESX 3.01), that has started mis-counting the time alloted for Seconds. I'm
really not sure how else to phrase this, we can pull up the clock on the
server from the systray, and can visually watch the seconds tick away at
extended intervals. (IE - instead of 1 second every second, we'll see 1
second tick, then can have a pause of up to 3-5 seconds before the next
second ticks by.) This delay gradually builds up until the server is off
from the domain time by several minutes . . obviously this is an issue.

On a reboot of this machine, the problem is no longer evident, in fact we
rebooted it in the evening to avoid production down time, all was good when
it came back up, but this morning (shortly after start of business) our time
issues showed up again.

As a work around we created a script to sync the server every minute and
set it to run as a local system task. But of course since the system counts
it's minutes rather slowly, the script doesn't run as often as it should, so
I'll be re-keying this to run from a remote system.

The setting within Vmware tools to "sync time between the virtual machine
and the console operating system" is disabled, however enabling it has not
made any notable changes. We've gone ahead and migrated this VM to a couple
different physical ESX hosts as well without any apparent differences
either.

My web-devs really want to point the finger at VMware, I'm inclined so far
to believe this is more of a windows issue, but I can't think of what it
could be. Any MS KB's that I've found related to system time have been
unhelpful so far. Only the fact that this issue appears to re-occur once our
business day starts up leans me twoards suspecting the underlying coding for
the webservices hosted on this system...we're working on getting time
allocated to disable webrelated services on this box to see if we can
isolate this issue to them.

If anyone has any thoughts for tracking this one down, I'd greatly
appreciate it. As is I'm loosing too much hair on this one ;)

TIA

Lan