[THIN] Re: OT: Question about app development...?

  • From: "Chris Lynch" <lynch00@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 08:18:32 -0800

I agree.  I did the exact same thing for one of our biggest clients (in the
broadcasting industry).  They have an application that needed a real
interface for launching the application.  I created an HTA for that purpose.
I also created a few other HTA's that was for user management, creating a
new DB for their application, backing up the application via FTP (as this
environment is completely isolated from their production environment).  I'm
planning on re-writing them in VB.Net 2003.  This would provide me more
flexibility, just by the nature of having more abilities with VB than with
Vbscript.

I don't do this for every client.  If someone has a specific need, we would
consider it.  The HTA's and the applications I'm going to create are going
to be owned by our client.  It was developed for them.  They basically
bought it.  I would imagine we would license the applications under an Open
Source license (like GNU or GPL).

I should also mention that I AM NOT A PROGRAMMER.  I am a Network Engineer.
I happen to know how to write code for applications or scripts.  It's
challenge.  I would never imagine doing it on my own or as an employee as a
full time job.  Playing with technology is way too much fun!

Chris