[THIN] Re: OT: Question about app development...?

  • From: "Braebaum, Neil" <Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 17:14:33 +0100

Tim

Thanks for the feedback.

I suspect if I did pursue something like this, I'd very much be in
contention with local expertise within companies.

S'funny thing, though. And writing these sort of things has made me
realise this - not just in seeing the roles and skill sets out there,
but also the material on the net. There's people who do HTML / web / ASP
stuff, and there's people who write scripts, and there's people who
write executables. They *in general* tend to be distinct camps.

Given that using scripting technologies isn't as complex or as involved
as writing native code, it means you can leverage the infrastructure (eg
Active Directory). And I'm a big proponent of actually making Active
Directory work for you - actually using it as this repository of
information.

As for going independent and doing it, I'm quite mindful of the whole
"nothing is more constant than change" axiom, and I don't wanna bet on
one sole horse, I guess. I think it was just a consideration in doing
something almost as a complete solution - I kept hearing this nagging
thought - surely there's an opportunity, there.

Thanks again for your thoughts, they are all helpful.

Neil

e-mail from your system.
to any person or organisation.

This weeks sponsor Emergent Online.