[THIN] Re: OT - Linux Root Password Unknown

  • From: Jon Reynolds <jonr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 07 Jan 2003 12:16:16 -0900

If you use lilo, you can boot with the options:

Linux root=/dev/hda1,ro init=/sbin/sh

This assumes that Linux is the name of your boot partition, and that
your
root partition is /dev/hda1. After that, you have to remount the root
partition read/write by:

mount /dev/hda1 -t remount rw

This assumes once agian that your root partition is /dev/hda1. After
that, edit your /etc/shadow file and delete the encrypted part of root's
password. You can then reboot your machine. VERY IMPORTANT!!! Before
rebooting you must remount your HD with read-only access via:

mount /dev/hda1 -t remount ro

Well, there you go. If you use GRUB, i'm not sure of the command line
switches.

Jon

--
Jon Reynolds <jonr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>