[THIN] Re: OT: HR info in AD

  • From: "Evan Mann" <emann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 11:37:38 -0400

I like the web page idea, I may have to do that.  My HR department likes
to change titles in the custom DB we use but not set the flag to
"notify" which is how I get updates and update AD.  If they have a web
page that can update the appropriate AD fields, I can put full
responsibility on them, which is the way I like it.

You can use a few different methods of scripting to automatically create
and/or delete AD accounts.  You just need to have something that runs on
a trigger (such as an e-mail) and then picks out info and populates
fields in AD.

I would not automated deletion of accounts, but rather automate removal
of all their logon hours or disable the account (disabling on E2000 or
E2003 stops e-mail deliver as well, unless you give permission to
external sender, so I suggest remove logon hours and perhaps hide it).

Auto creation isn't a big deal, but it can become a huge task depending
on your setup.  I have 80 offices, different lists for each, different
lists based on division within the company, office, and job title.
There's A LOT of logic to process to automate it in my situation, and it
hasn't been worth the time to figure it out. I find it easier to just do
it manually.  Heck, I don't even setup my E2003 recipient policies
properly to auto populate the appropriate 1 of 15 e-mail domains, even
though that's easy.  I guess I'm a stickler for the hard way sometimes.