[THIN] Re: OT: HR info in AD

  • From: Philip Walley <mythinlist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 10:35:15 -0500

that reminds me of a customer i had a while back. it is a very large corporation spread over the US and some of Canada so the responsibility of maintaining users was too enormous for a single person to handle. although they had separate HR and AD systems, what they did was build a custom front end web page that the manager would use to enter the users information as well as assign the correct group memberships. the submitted web form would auto create the user account and email the manager with the information as well as the auto created password.

Roger Riggins wrote:

That’s a valid point about where the responsibility should lie. I think Matt’s idea of a custom DB that HR and AD pull from is a good idea. I suppose it could be entered via a webpage that only HR can access. Can it somehow automatically create the account when they submit it? Do you see any security risk in doing so?

Is anyone already doing this?

Roger Riggins
Network Administrator
Lutheran Services in Iowa