[THIN] OT: 30 gig mailbox

  • From: "Jim Kerr" <jim@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 10:45:36 -0400

I don't know why the need for a 30 gig email account when my GMAIL is currently
at 36 megs with a total of 2.6 gigs of storage space but here is another one.
It looks pretty basic.  I didn't see pop3 support yet unless I missed it.  If
you want an ivnite email me directly.  (Not to the list)  I've seen some people
complain that they will sell your private info to marketing companines but
noticed you do not have to provide that info when signing up.  The only thing I
had to give it was a backup email address which is the same address all my spam
goes to anyway.

----

A new web mail service launched today promising to bring users an email inbox
of 30gb. 30gigs.com started off with the idea of creating an "All in one" site
for the webmaster and avid computer users. According to the sites "about us"
page, combining personal file storage, GD2 signatures and anonymous email all
in one service, which would be free. "Our main goal is to increase our space
even further, to 50 gigs, or maybe 100 as time goes on. 30Gigs.com is still in
a very heavy beta, and if you are a member, please help us to make it the best
mail server there is. We will be offering a section for personal file storage
(up to 30 gigs) and a GD2 signature maker to keep your email safe from spam
robots. We also offer a unique feature, which allows you to send a email from
any address you want." However, many users here at Neowin are wary of the
service, it's privacy policy and terms of service. One user at Neowin,
Qumahlin, called the service "shady" and stated "the ToS/Eula is amazingly
short". The service is currently in beta and mimicking Google's GMail service
it requires an invite to gain access to the service. Like other services that
have popped up on the internet promising gigs worth of email we don't expect it
to last longer than a few months so grab an invite whilst you can.