[THIN] Re: MetaFrame XPe SP3 FR2 Windows 2000 Servers crash nightly and have to be rebooted.

  • From: "Bernd Harzog" <Bernd.Harzog@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 12:31:51 -0500

You are running out of virtual memory. There are several reasons for
this:

1. You are running large applications that consume a great deal of
virtual memory. In the ordinary course of running those applications you
are using up all of the available VM in your servers. When you do that
they crash.

2. You have one or more applications that are leaking memory. This means
that when a piece of code allocates memory and then is done with it, it
does not deallocate that memory. If you let things leak long enough you
will eventually use up all of the VM in your servers and they will
crash.

One solution to this problem is to reboot your servers frequently.
Rebooting causes VM to be cleared which allows you to start fresh. You
might also want to consider evaluation our product, TScale. TScale
optimizes the applications running on your terminal servers and causes
them to use less VM and to hit the page file less frequently. This
allows you to support more users per server, or perhaps in your case
allows you to support the users you have without crashing. You can get
the evaluation software on our web site at:

http://www.rtosoft.com/pages/evaluate_ts.html

You are welcome to email me on or off list if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Bernd Harzog
CEO
RTO Software