[THIN] Re: Locked files in FoxPro published applications

  • From: "TSguy92 Lan" <tsguy92@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 13:08:34 -0700

"but why the same application has no problem when it running on users
workstations (20 workstations at the same time) and connecting to the same
database files?"

ooooh how many times have I heard this question...more often than not the
answer is due to the application in question not being terminal server /
multiple user running the app from the same system aware. Apps that fall
into this category typically write user specific reg values to HKLM instead
of HKCU, or sometimes the apps just aren't tuned to use less than 80% of the
memory / CPU available for simple functions. (I have an app that would use
all 4gb of my server's RAM, and 75% cpu for one user session when I was
testing it out . . :(  ) Sometimes there are ways around app issues like
these, sometimes not.

From what you've described though, it looks like the MSKB you linked does
appear to be your answer. Although as I read it, it looks like you need to
contact MS support to get the hotfix, apply it to a TS server, and then
adjust the registry value indicated just to test it out. As long as you're
following some sort of change control process and QA'ing the fix
/ backing-up your TS servers before making these types of adjustments you
should be able to spare yourself any major headaches if the update actually
causes problems with other pub-apps.

If you actually have inhouse Dev resources, it may not hurt to set them up
with their own TS server so they can play around with multi-user scenarios
and tune their apps accordingly before they make design decisions that work
great on their workstations but blow up your TS servers. With VMware server
software being free, any powerful workstation could be setup to run terminal
server software for software development needs.

Case in point for us, one of our Devs was all set to roll out a new
application for our org that had a "live" patching feature. So if he made a
change to his app during the day and posted it, the next person to login to
the app would immediately download, install and run the new version. Sounds
great for workstations . . but the app was to be hosted under our TS farm .
. and that kinda live product patching doesn't fly on a server farm hosting
several hundred connections. *shudder*. Once the dev was setup with his own
server to play around in, we guided him to safer update methods that fell
within our change control guidelines, and I sleep better at night for it ;).

Anywho, back to your issue, I noticed that the MSKB referred specifically to
windows 2000 TS servers, I'd be interested if the same problem crops up
under Windows 2003 TS boxes. If it doesn't you may have found a good reason
to give to management to afford an upgrade :).

Lan