[THIN] Re: Linux client licensing

  • From: james.masters@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 10:49:34 -0500

 I found an acceptable answer to my own question on
http://www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=1925:

"How it Works for Non-Windows Clients:
Because non-Windows clients do not contain a registry, an alternative
solution  was developed:
When a non-Windows client connects to a MetaFrame session for the first
time,  the target MetaFrame server to which they connect requests a TS CAL
from the  license server. Then, instead of passing the TS CAL to the
non-Windows client,  the CAL is stored in that MetaFrame server's
registry, beneath HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Citrix\MSLicensing\.
Whenever the non-Windows client returns to that MetaFrame server, no
license  request is necessary because the license already exists in that
MetaFrame server's  registry.
If the same non-Windows client then connects to a second MetaFrame server
in the same domain, the second MetaFrame server requests a CAL from the
license  server as before. However, because the license server has already
issued a CAL  for that client, the same CAL is re-issued to the second
MetaFrame server. This scenario assumes that all MetaFrame servers share a
single common Terminal Services Licensing server.
In both cases, the non-Windows ICA Client is not reached by the Terminal
Services License server directly. The target MetaFrame server requests a
TS CAL from the license server on the client's behalf and then retains a
copy of the TS CAL for future use. Over time, all MetaFrame servers in a
load-balanced farm will contain copies of the TS CALs for all non-Windows
clients."

Thanks, James

  _____