[THIN] Re: Hand-In Folder

  • From: Robert Barrett <RobertB@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 08:37:52 -0600

I have seen a thread in a different NG at Computing.net, that indicated that
this was a Word/Excel problem.  The problem was listed as
"I need a network folder that users can save hardcopies of documents into
but cannot be accidentally deleted once they are in there.", which sounds
like yours.
The solution they gave was to
"Set the permissions on the folder to be 'Read&Execute', 'List Folder
Contents', 'Read', and 'Write'. Then go to the Advanced Permissions and
remove the 'Delete' and 'Delete Subfolder and Files' permissions and you are
set."
The thread went on basically between a few people that discovered the error
of "read only folder" was only with Word and Excel, this did not happen with
Wordpad.  They believe the error is caused by Office and the behaviour of
creating temp files and deleting them once you save the original.  A bit
long winded but I hope it helps.