[THIN] Fw: Port speeds on all network devices?

  • From: Aaron Simms <aaron.simms@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 11:02:32 -0500

Here are some suggestions from Cisco:

Why Can't the Speed and Duplex Be Hard-Coded On Only One Link Partner?
As indicated in the Auto-Negotiation Valid Configuration Table, manually
setting the speed and duplex for full-duplex on one link partner will
result in a duplex mismatch. This is the result of disabling
auto-negotiation on one link partner and the other link partner defaulting
to a half-duplex configuration. A duplex mismatch will result in slow
performance, intermittent connectivity, data link errors, and other
issues. If the intent is not to use auto-negotiation, both link partners
must be configured for speed and duplex manually for full-duplex settings.

Recommended Port Configuration (Auto-Negotiation or Manual Configuration)
There are many opinions on the subject of auto-negotiation. Previously,
many engineers were advising customers not to use auto-negotiation with
any switch connected device. However, improvements in the interoperation
of auto-negotiation and the maturity of the technology has recently
changed the view of using auto-negotiation. In addition, performance
issues due to duplex mismatches as a result of manually setting speed and
duplex only on one link partner, have become more common. Due to these
recent issues, using auto-negotiation is regarded as a valid practice

Aaron Simms MCSE,CCA,CCSP
Network Engineer
Pemstar Inc.
Aaron.simms@xxxxxxxxxxx
507-535-4334

----- Forwarded by Aaron Simms/RCH/AM/PEMSTAR Inc on 05/20/2004 11:00 AM
-----

John Van Gerpen <jvangerpen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
05/20/2004 10:36 AM
Please respond to
thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

"'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[THIN] Port speeds on all network devices?

Hi THIN LIST:

                 It was suggested to me that I should set the port speeds
on all my
switches and NIC's to the same speed/duplexing and not use Auto for any
configuration.  I am running a 100 MB network and in one location have a
1GB
back plane where my Citrix servers plug into.   What settings should work
best (half / Full) and should I hard code each Network device off the Auto
setting?

John
http://www.tarantella.com/ttba

http://www.tarantella.com/ttba