[THIN] Dos Clients?

  • From: "Blackman, John" <John.Blackman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 11:22:35 +0100

Given the advent of the V6.3 client and the various CE Thin Client devices
now available, does anyone consider DOS clients to be of any use?

I'm currently evaluating whether or not we should use DOS 32-Bit clients in
areas of our business that do not have the appropriate funding for WinTerms.
Basically, the DOS client would be used as an interim measure until the
business can afford to buy the new thin clients.  I would expect a 6 - 12
month time frame.

The other proposal on offer is to remove all the apps and install PNAgent,
thus keeping the original OS, which can be anything from Win98, 98, NT,
2000, all the machines ranges from the very crap (P133) to brand new
desktops.

However, with several offices of between 50 and 200+ users around the UK, to
go and uninstall MS Office  etc and install PNAgent would take to much time
(20mins per client +) , where as just copying the user data off and dumping
a DOS client via ghost would be far quicker.

So, I throw this open to you all, what do you think??

- John Blackman
CCA, CCEA.