[THIN] Re: Distributed File System for TS Profiles

  • From: "Michael Pardee" <pardeemp.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 10:17:14 -0400

We had all of our profiles on DFS shares (thousands of people) and had a few
issues.  When we called MS for help the comment they made to us blew us away
- "call us back when you get your roaming profiles off of DFS.  It was never
intended to work for that."

We no longer use DFS for profiles, but our problems happened on Win2k3
before sp1 was released, so things may be much better.

I wouldn't take our response as the norm, but you asked!

On 7/17/06, Jeff Pitsch <jepitsch@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've used this method with various companies quite effectively. I haven't experienced any real issues that would make me rethink this as a viable option.

*Jeff Pitsch Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server*

*Forums not enough?
Get support from the experts at your business
**http://jeffpitschconsulting.com* <http://jeffpitschconsulting.com>

On 7/15/06, Thin Man <thin.master@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm wondering what the prevailing attitude on the list is towards DFS.
> I've used a DFS ring in the past for TS Profiles across locations with
> success, but have also experienced a few issues.  I understand that under
> 2003 Server R2 MS has re-written DFS.  What is the conventional wisdom of
> the list towards this config and has MS tightened up DFS under R2?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>

> Click here <https://www.mailcontrol.com/sr/wQw0zmjPoHdJTZGyOCrrhg==> to

Michael Pardee
www.blindsquirrel.org