[THIN] Re: Compaq Network Card Teaming

  • From: Adam.Baum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 08:14:49 -0700

Let us not forget the teaming only works with certain switches/routers.
Not all brands (such as Cabletron/Enterasys) provide full teaming
fucntionality.

                      "Steven Sporen"

                      <steven.sporen@exo        To:       <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

                      rdia.co.za>               cc:

                      Sent by:                  Subject:  [THIN] Re: Compaq
Network Card Teaming
                      thin-bounce@freeli

                      sts.org

                      09/08/2003 07:47

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      thin

Hi Andrew,

Teaming is virtual joining of two or more network cards (usually of the
same type) to form a virtual redundant NIC which provides in theory the
throughput of all the NIC's combined.

Depending on what your goal is - you might want to consider NLBS (Network
Load Balancing Service) which is shipped with Windows Advanced Server. It
allows you to create a virtual IP address across many servers - usually
used for IIS environments.

Hope this helps.

Regards
  Steven