[THIN] Re: Compaq Network Card Teaming

  • From: "Andrew Deters" <adeters@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 15:25:11 -0400

Thanks that helped.

 -----Original Message-----
From:   thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]  On
Behalf Of Adam.Baum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent:   Monday, September 08, 2003 2:09 PM
To:     thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:        [THIN] Re: Compaq Network Card Teaming

The spec is 802.3AD.   Compaq calls it SLB (switch assisted load
balancing).  This lets the switch SEND to either NIC.  On non 802.3AD
swithces, the most you can hope for is TLB (transmit load balancing).  This
pretty much means that one NIC will do all the receiving, but both can
send.

adam

                      "Andrew Deters"
                      <adeters@xxxxxxx>        To:
<thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      Sent by:                 cc:
                      thin-bounce@freel        Subject:  [THIN] Re: Compaq
Network Card Teaming
                      ists.org

                      09/08/2003 10:34
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      thin

I guess that's what I'm trying to clear up.  Our network guys are telling
me
that we can do it on our switches as long as our Nic cards support
multi-link trunking whatever the hell that is.  I can't even tell you what
types of switches/routers we use.  I guess I was looking for a document
that
would explain the ins and outs of teaming/load balancing from both the
switch side and the server side.

Andrew Deters
Project Manager, Information Systems
Appalachian Regional Healthcare