[THIN] Re: 64 bit hardware recommendation + best practices

  • From: Jez <jezosaurus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 10:49:30 +0200

On 4/16/07, Angela Smith <angela_smith9@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi

Im looking at adding 64 bit servers to our existing PS4 farm.  Which is the
better way to go in regards to hardware.

Stick to the same vendor / model as your 32 bit stock. HP Proliant
servers are my personal preference.

 Is it better to get the fastest
dual core CPU's or the slowest Quad core CPU's?.

Ask the vendor nicely. If you're lucky, you should be able to get a
couple of loan machines from them for testing.

The fastest Quad cores are out of my budget..

And may well not be an option either. Consider an AMD based machine as
well - you might find them more cost effective.

Also are there any guides / best practices in relation to integrating 64 bit
into a 32 bit farm - ie should AD group policies be replicated / updated to
factor the different registry / file paths, server customisations etc etc

As far as Windows is concerned, Windows 64bit is still Windows. So a
new 64bit server should be no different from a 32 bit server. If you
do have issues, I'd expect them to be device driver related.