[the-facts-machine] Fw: September BTBL Computer/Book club

  • From: Steve <pipeguy920@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <the-facts-machine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 14:11:31 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Norris, Scott (LARA)
To: BSBP Staff
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 5:15 PM
Subject: September BTBL Computer/Book club

Good Afternoon All,

This Saturday, September 13 the BTBL Computer Club is Back.  We are going to
look at a couple of podcast apps for mobile devices.  I know this is a
change from what I put out in my previous message.  However the folks at
KNFB Reader and Humanware are on a different schedule than we are.  The kNFB
Reader app and the Victor Stream upgrade firmware are not out yet.

We will look at the Downcast app which is very Voiceover friendly along with
a couple of other podcasting apps.

The BTBL Computer Club meets in the BTBL public service area LOCATED on the
first floor of the Library of Michigan across from the elevators.  We meet
from 10:30-12:30.

If you are unable to join us in Lansing see later in this message for
information on how to log in to the BTBL Online Meeting Room.

If you want to stay for the book club we order out lunch from one of the
local sub shops.

One hour after the BTBL Computer Club ends the BTBL Book Club meets from
1:30-3:00.  We meet in the BTBL public service area located on the first
floor of the Library of Michigan across from the elevators.

September's book is DB77720 Sycamore Row by John Grisham

Still reeling from the racially charged case in A Time to Kill (DB 35891),
attorney Jake Brigance learns he has been hired--posthumously--by reclusive
Seth Hubbard. Before hanging himself, Hubbard wrote a will that cut out his
children and bestowed his wealth on his black housekeeper. Some strong
language. Bestseller. 2013.

October's book is DB/RC47299 Confederates in the Attic: Dispatches from the
Unfinished Civil War by Tony Horwitz

Reviving a childhood passion, journalist Tony Horwitz spends a week with a
hardcore Civil War reenactor, traveling to battle sites in the south. Along
the way, he learns why many people are still obsessed with the war and how
views of the past are often divided along racial lines. Some strong
language.

November's book is BR19254 DB70029 Flashforward by Robert J Sawyer

A scientific experiment provides everyone on Earth a two-minute glimpse of
their lives--twenty-one years into the future. Theo Procopides, who helped
design the experiment, discovers he will be murdered. To prevent this
outcome, he begins to search for his unknown killer. Some strong language
and some descriptions of sex. 1999.

If you are unable to join us in Lansing you can join us in the BTBL Online
Meeting Room. If you have a computer, speakers, microphone, (optional) and
Internet access you can participate in the BTBL Computer/Book Club online.

To access the BTBL Online Meeting Room use this link

http://www.conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rs417aa6694fed

Users of the BTBL online room may enter any username they wish. To enter the
room as a participant, please leave the password field blank. A software
plug-in is required for full access to tcConference, the webconferencing
software from a company called Talking Communities. The entry page to the
BTBL Online Meeting Room contains helpful information about the plug-in. A
no-plug-in-required web interface also is available for Mac, Linux, and MS
users who cannot (or prefer not to) install the software plug-in. Please
note, however, that not all tcConference features are available through the
web interface.

Access to the BTBL Online Meeting Room is provided through financial support
from the Library of Michigan Foundation.

If you have further questions contact Scott Norris at the information listed
below between 7:30-5:00 Monday-Thursday and 7:30-11:30 Friday.

See you at the computer and book club,

Scott

Scott J. Norris
Adaptive Technology Librarian