[texbirds] vacationing in Texas, need advice

  • From: Judy Seeley <judy_seeley@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 16:17:01 -0500

Dear Birders,

May husband and I will be vacationing in Texas for a couple of weeks.  I am
looking for advice on good birding spots.  We will stay in Rockport for three
days and plan a tour to see Whooping Cranes and a tour of the King Ranch.  We
will then go to Mission Texas for a week, planning to drive up and down the
valley to the birding trail sites.  We would appreciate suggestions of birding
sites, local bird club outings that me might attend, and any other special
birding events around there between 1/27 and 2/2.

We were in the Rio Grande valley about six years ago, and I recall visiting a
retired couple in Salineno, TX who set up a feeding station near their RV
location just a few hundred feet from the Rio Grande River.  They allowed
people to come onto the property to watch birds.  It was a unique experience
and we saw both Audubon's and Hooded Orioles there.  Does anyone know they are
still there and if so, their name, directions, and if they still invite people
in?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Judy Seeley

judy_seeley@xxxxxxxxxxx