[texbirds] Re: rfi swainsons warbler at Kleb

  • From: "Silvers, Dean" <Dean.Silvers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tripp.davenport@xxxxxxxxx" <tripp.davenport@xxxxxxxxx>, "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 13:16:27 -0500

Please start sending your posts to texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

The Edith L. Moore sanctuary is always a good Houston choice this time of year.
The sanctuary is heavily wooded and near Memorial Drive and the Sam Houston
Tollway. I saw several Swainson Thrushes there a couple of weeks ago, along
with many warblers. If you are in Galveston, the Laffite's Cove Nature
Sanctuary is a good choice. A couple of weeks ago I saw 15 species of warblers
along with Swainson Thrushes, Veery's and Grey Cheeked Thrushes.  Just past
Laffite's (a couple of miles down the road going West and on the right) is the
derelict Stewart Mansion. The gate is usually open, and there are several acres
of undeveloped property on the cove. There was excellent birding there for many
species earlier in the year. As Stewart road curves left and back to the main
highway (I believe it turns into 13 Mile Road), there is a nesting pair of
White tailed Kites on the right. (Have not seen any Swallow-Tailed Kites this
year.

Good Birding!

Dean