[texbirds] new East Austin hike and bike trail - local interest

  • From: "Johnson, Adrian N" <aj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 13:35:01 +0000

Hi all,
I spent 4 hours yesterday exploring the new Walnut Creek hike and bike trail in
East Austin, and it holds some promise for good birds, especially during
migration, as much of the paved trail runs under mature Cedar Elm, Pecan and
Hackberry trees, among others. When completed it will run from somewhere up
near 290 in Davis White Northeast District Park all the way down past 183, and
I think is supposed to connect all the way to the Ladybird Lake hike and bike
trail.

Right now the northernmost pavement starts at the East Communities YMCA (51st
Street and 183), runs down to FM969 next to the Walnut Creek Wastewater
Treatment Plant, and continues south until it crosses under 183 alongside the
railroad tracks near Delwau Road. I also explored some of the northern part
that is being currently being constructed - it branches east just south of the
YMCA across the Harvey Penick Golf Course and then runs north right along the
creek. The whole trail was very birdy with expected birds - about 43 species in
all. Indigo Buntings were the bird of the day, singing along the whole stretch
of the trail, along with lots of Painted Buntings, Lesser Goldfinches plying
the sunflowers, multiple Red-shouldered Hawks and much more.

Definitely worth checking out if you're looking for somewhere new to get
outside and see birds in Austin.

AJ Johnson
Austin