[texbirds] (many)Oyster catchers in a fresh-water pond

  • From: Monte <monte.phillips@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2014 15:25:44 -0500

Went out today on Galveston Island.  Got in between deluges. On Stewart
Rd, just past 8mi Rd is a large fresh water pond on the north side.
There were 15 Oyster catchers within a hundred foot strip along the near
bank.  I counted them twice, I had never seen so many in one place, and
never on fresh water before.  None were banded that we could determine.
Quite a sight.

Just across the road a pair of reddish egrets were busy doing their 'Big
Bird' feeding dance.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/vlrOGSNUJnY2Mg1lrKOKEtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

On further down 8mi, and on Sportsman Rd there were a myriad of Herons
(Green, Blue, Tri-colored, black Crowns) many Great Egrets, and
Spoonbills.  Couple of White-tailed Kites.  Quite a morning.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/iqjsgneepae7pR2ygH8rbdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Monte Phillips
Tx cty

---