[texbirds] local patches

  • From: Keith Arnold <kbarnold2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 11:08:01 -0500

I have been watching the postings on "local patches" with great interest,
as I have long advocated long-term data collection as a means to document
changes in habitats and bird populations. Of course, it does brings some
pleasant surprises as well.
 I have conducted weekly censuses as a local lake since July 1996 and it is
amazing to see changes as the aquatic vegetation and the surrounding
environs have  affected the bird populations. Only a couple of
hospitalizations and subsequent recuperation
periods have interrupted these censuses. Thus far, I have recorded over 160
species, yet I have seen species reported by others that I have not
observed. I should note that I try to complete my  0.5 mile route in 1 hour
or less.

Keith Arnold
Bryan/TAMU