[texbirds] Lost Maples & Utopia

  • From: Mitch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 17:40:00 -0500

* * * * * *

Hi all,

I've been to Lost Maples a couple times in the last week
guiding some fine folks.....  here's a little news...

There is a White-tipped Dove at the overflow parking feeding
station, I'd guess new for the park list, maybe Bandera Co.?
I've heard Scott's and Audubon's Oriole, up on the ridges, we saw
Zone-tailed Hawk in an incredible flight display last week, missed
today.

Acadian Flycatcher was heard and seen on the 17th and today.
That was my earliest return date in 10 years here, these are
breeders, not passage migrants.  Eastern Wood-Pewee was also
back the 17th.

Lots of Golden-cheeked Warbler, the area past the ponds
when canyon narrows is the easiest place to see them well.
This area has the also 'lost', but unsung, Witch Hazel colony,
and Canyon Mock-Orange.

A few Yellow-throated Warblers are along the pond trail, and
near the ponds, several pairs of Louisiana Waterthrush, lots
of Hutton's Vireo (throughout), including one on nest, fair
numbers of the regulars like Yellow-throated, Red-eyed, and Wide-eyed
Vireo, Rufous-crowned Sparrow was easy today, tough last week.
A few Painted Bunting are trickling in, good numbers of Indigo,
a male Lazuli was there last week a few Blue Grosbeaks back.
Yellow-billed cuckoo are just getting back, a male Yellow-
bellied Sapsucker was in fine plumage.

One of the rangers mentioned some are seeing Green Kingfisher,
they have been scarce on the Sabinal River lately, though
again heard a Ringed near Utopia from porch a couple days ago.
Also in yard a male Rose-breasted Grosbeak a couple days ago
was good, I do not get them every spring here, and a full
adult male Rufous with green flecked back is at our feeders.

Today a few dark morph Swainson's Hawk were on the ground in a freshly
ploughed field north of Utopia about 5 miles, among 15+ light ones.

Yesterday and today a Northern Parula was hearable singing
along river from the porch (verified visually as good Northern).
A couple Northern Waterthrush were along river Sunday, one
yesterday here in yard.  Great Crested Flycatcher just got back
a few days ago.

It is pretty birdy in general, the next two weeks is peak here
where the circum-gulf migrants rule.  Nashvilles have been
abundant on the best days, I saw 70 last Sunday in a mile
of river, most were in one flock.  Clay-colored and Chippy
flocks have numbered 25 to 50 of each in single flocks.

Mitch Heindel
Utopia
www.utopianature.com/BIRDNEWS.html
has updates once a week or so