[texbirds] Re: e-bird question- Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 23:01:39 -0500 (EST)

Well, just to make sure that nobody misunderstand my intention - I truly
like the idea (eBirds) and this database could be  helpful, but … There is
usually a ‘but‘, isn’t it?

It is not important how many and how long hours reviewers spend when
checking records - what counts is quality not quantity. I read with quite
interest these only few responses and it was not a surprise that only some
regions are thought to do reviews adequately (hope more than listed).

So another question needs to be asked: Who is guarding the guards?
Evidently some reviewers are having problems with verifying records (hopefully
they do not use vote method which is so often used on popular fora). IMHO
another layer  of guards checking guards could improve the situation so  would
removal of those who for whatever reason cannot correctly qualify records.  I
understand that this is a new project that still needs a lot improvements
but  there is no excuse to keep and accumulating worthless and misleading
records.  This database (eBirds) should not be a replacement for places where
birders look  for something to chase - Texbirds and other similar websites
are good enough for  that. BTW I only recently learned that there is
difference between birder and  bird watcher …  So birders have plenty of
places to
check for something to  chase and records on eBirds should be rather delayed
than  incorrect.  Often less is more …

Mark B Bartosik
Houston, Texas
_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/from_the_field_