[texbirds] Wow!

  • From: Dan Smith <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 19:55:11 -0500

Upon seeing Brush's "get to the coast now!" I wrapped up an interview at 9 and
headed for Goose Island State Park. It's easiest for me to reach, I know it
well, and Brush didn't seem to think it mattered where on the coast.

I arrived at 12:45 and knew it would be good when I turned on 12th street to
the Big Tree. I had Northern Waterthrush and Ovenbird on the ground by the side
of the road near the corner. Spent 15 minutes at the Big Tree and Had 18
species before heading for the park proper. By the end of the 1st hour was at
45 species in the woods.

Indigo Bunting
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Scarlet Tanager
Summer Tanager
Orchard Oriole

Warblers:
Baltimore Oriole (all over the place)
Yellow-breasted Chat
Wilson's
Yellow
Blackburnian
Bay-breasted
Magnolia
Northern Parula
Cerulean
Redstart
Hooded
Nashville
Tennessee (lots - gave up counting)
Prothonotary
Black-and-White
Golden-winged
Northern Waterthrush
Ovenbird

Catbirds everywhere

Thrushes
Wood
Swainson's
Gray-cheeked
Veery (everywhere you looked)

White-eyed Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo

Eastern Wood Peewee
Least Flycatcher

Yellow-billed Cuckoo

Those are the migrant highlights. Total for just over 3 hours in the park was
69 species.

Don't know if tomorrow will be as good, but the winds and the rain argue for
things kind of staying put, I think.

When I left at 4:00 it was raining hard and appeared to be settling in with
winds forecast from the east through the night.

Dan Smith
dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
512-451-2632
http://www.wordsmithofaustin.com