[texbirds] Williamson/Travis today - Sora, Cave Swallow, Brown Booby (Windy Pt), ducks.

  • From: Christian Walker <christian.walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 17:30:25 -0600

Hello,

I had work up in Round Rock today so I did some birding on the way up and also
around there as well. I birded Windy Point, Old Settler’s Pond, Meadow Lake,
and Lake Pflugerville. Viewing conditions were pretty much terrible all day.
Windy Point was deathly cold and windy, and I did not see anywhere near the
number of waterbirds reported in the past week or so. There were only around 80
Redheads, and a few Bufflehead. I did get really good looks at the Brown Booby.
Old Settler’s Pond had good variety of waterfowl, including some Canvasback, a
Blue-winged Teal, and some Ring-necked Ducks. I also flushed a Wilson’s Snipe
from the edge of the pond.
Meadow Lake was very birdy, and I hope to come back here when it’s not as
windy. I heard a Sora call, as well as a Common Yellowthroat. There were lots
of Ruddy Ducks, and some Canvasbacks, and some Buffleheads. There were also a
handful of Ring-billed Gulls. There were at least 4 Cave Swallows flying around
up high.
Lake Pflugerville was literally covered with coots, but I picked out a few
Canvasback, Redheads, and Lesser Scaup. American Wigeon were the second-most
common bird after American Coot, which must have numbered close to 1000 birds,
but there were only about 50 AMWI.

Good birding,

Christian Walker
Independent Adjuster