[texbirds] Re: Tropical Mockingbird update

  • From: Harlan Stewart <hstewartmail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Steve Mayes <sgmayes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2012 22:42:53 -0500

Just a note on the male Golden-fronted Woodpecker: your suspicion that one or
more of the GFWO's are still around was born out this afternoon. The bird
visited a dead tree about 50 yards east of the snag where both GFWO's had been
seen in the past. I haven't seen the female since May 29, however.

http://hstewart.smugmug.com/Nature/GFWO/Sabine-Woods/i-Nhrxqhs/0/M/Golden-fronted-Woodpecker-6-9-M.jpg
http://hstewart.smugmug.com/Nature/GFWO/Sabine-Woods/i-5h5Lknw/0/M/Golden-fronted-Woodpecker-6-9-M.jpg

Today was good for Melanerpes: two Red-bellied Woodpeckers, a female and an
accompanying juvenile, visited a tree along the main trail from the drip
towards the entrance of Sabine Woods. I saw these two birds on the 5th in the
same area, suggesting that they may have a territory in the woods between the
south fence line and the east-west trail just south of the big pond. The
GFWO(s) activity seems to be centered more around the drip/birdbath.

http://hstewart.smugmug.com/photos/i-djccgXQ/0/M/i-djccgXQ-M.jpg
http://hstewart.smugmug.com/photos/i-L28sBPq/0/M/i-L28sBPq-M.jpg
http://hstewart.smugmug.com/photos/i-HZ3NXRR/0/M/i-HZ3NXRR-M.jpg

Harlan Stewart